- VISION & MISSION
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
- PHYSICAL EDUCATION
- COLLEGE FACTS
- EXTENSION ACTIVITIES
- AIDS AWARENESS CELL
- BAND AND MUSIC
- CAREER GUIDANCE
- CARMEL COUNSELLING CENTRE
- CATHOLIC LIFE
- CERTIFICATE & DIPLOMA COURSES
- COMPUTER CLUB
- GRIEVANCE REDRESSAL CELL
- HARMONY CLUB
- HUMAN RIGHTS CELL
- N. C. C.
- NATURE CLUB
- RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CELL
- STUDENT CABINET
- WOMEN'S CELL
- WOMENS CENTRE
- PHOTO GALLERY
- BEST PRACTICES
Department of Physics
Physics, one of the oldest academic disciplines of natural science, aids us in our understanding of how the universe behaves and this alone should suffice in establishing its increased importance in the contemporary world wherein the analysis of nature seems to be the dire need of the hour. This, however, cannot make us overlook the significance of Physics in new technologies. Products such as television, computers, domestic appliances and nuclear weapons which have dramatically transformed modern-day society owe their existence to electromagnetism or nuclear physics. Our youth can understand and appreciate their inheritance of the universe where they study Physics as an academic discipline.
In the three major systems, we have two combinations with Physics.
- Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics
- Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science.
Our college got the Autonomous Status in the year 2007-2008 and was recognized for "Potential for Excellence". The department was given Rupees 5 lakhs for infrastructure development during the year. Using the CPE grant, we upgraded the Physics laboratory with LCD projector, computer with printer unit, furniture and equipment like GM counter and Hall Effect unit during the year 2007-2008. The LCD projector was made use of in conducting class seminar, tutorials and Physics quizzes. The staff as well as students made use of it for presentations.
UGC grant money of Rupees one lakh was utilized for upgrading the laboratory by purchasing equipment for mechanics experiments of I B.Sc students during the year 2008-2009 and an amount of Rs.4.75 lakhs was utilized for woodwork like cupboards and tables for keeping the equipment in the laboratory during the year 2009-2010.
|Papers Offered||Activities||Staff Members||Star Scheme|
June – September 2015
A workshop on ‘Training in Repair of Home Appliances’ was conducted on 22nd, 29th August & 3rd, 12th September 2015. 16 Physics students participated in the training sessions. Mr. Cajetan Noronha was the Resource person.
In order to celebrate International Year of Light 2015 – Collage completion on the theme ‘ Light -a wide angle’ was conducted on 26th August 2015. 22 students participated in the event. Ms. Ayshath Afifa & Ms. Navya of III B.Sc got 1st place, Ms. Kashmitha Muthamma & Ms. Bindiya of III B.Sc got 2nd place and Ms. Avishma & Ms. Bhavyashree of I B.Sc. got 3rd place. Ms. Nimitha of Department of Commerce & Ms. Asha of Department of English, judged the event.
On 19th August 2015 a Guest Lecture on ‘Basics of Quantum Mechanics was organized by the Physics Department. The Resource person was Prof. Ajith K M , Department of Physics, NITK, Surathkal. 60 students of III B.Sc. attended the Lecture.
Prof. Mariola C Pinto, Ms. Vandana M and 38 students of III B.Sc attended a symposium on ‘Recent advances in Photonics’ on 8th August 2015 at Manipal organised by Department of Atomic and Molecular Physics MIT, Manipal University, Manipal.
Seminar Competition was organized on 22nd July 2015. 16 students participated and dealt with various topics of Physics. Prof. Pragathi Shetty & Prof. judged the event. Ms. Sapna Karkera of Ist B.Sc got 1st place, Ms. Sparsha of II B.Sc & Ms. Avishma of I B.Sc got the 2nd place and Ms. Jyothika Karkala of III B.Sc. & Ms. Keerthi of II B.Sc got 3rd place. .
Physics Forum was inaugurated on 8th July 2015. III B.Sc students conducted seminar on the topic ‘recent developments in Physics’ and quiz on general Physics. All the Physics students of I,II and III B.Sc participated in the Programme.
Profile of Teachers:
Years of service as on 2015
Mrs. Mariola C. Pinto
Selection Grade Lecturer
M. Sc. – Electronics, PGDCA
Mrs. Marina Lobo
Senior Scale Lecturer
M. sc. – Solid State Physics
Dr Saraswathi S Rao (Retd. in April, 2015) :
- Awarded Ph.D for the work on “Synthesis and Characterization of CdS Nano particles with Organic and Inorganic Stabilizers” in 2008.
- Published 12 Research articles in international journals
- Presented 10 research papers in Conferences (7 International and 3 National) Participated in UGC sponsored State level Seminars organized by various colleges.
- Co - authored a book on General studies for U. G students of Mangalore University.
- Participated in a refresher course on ‘Experimental Physics’ organized by Mangalore University in association with Indian Academy of Sciences from 1st June 2009 to 16th June 2009.
- Organized intercollegiate Physics Seminar competition for U. G students in collaboration with APT, Mangalore University.
- Published a book on “CdS Nanoparticles” through LAP Lambert publication, Germany and a book in Kannada”Nanoparichaya”
- Organized workshops/Seminars/Lecture series/Guest lectures alongwith the department colleagues:
- “Working and Maintenance of Electrical Appliances” for the B.Sc Students of the College.
- Training in “Science Model Making”
- “Acoustics and Harmonicity” – Guest lecture by Prof. Rama Bhat, Mechanical Engg Dept, Concordia University, Canada.
- “Electrical Energy and Mobile communication”
- “Renewable energy sources”
- “Lecture series in Physics & Project presentations” (Intercollegiate)
- “From Atoms to Quarks – Fundamental particles in Physics”- Guest lecture by Dr Vijay Kumar, Dept of Physics, Mangalore University.
- “Lecture series in Crystallography” (Intercollegiate)
- “Materials for Future” - Science Fair in Physical Sciences (Physics & Chemistry departments).
- National Workshop “Science in Action” under star college scheme (Basic Science departments)
International Conferences Attended:
- Participated and presented paper in an International Conference on Optoelectronic Materials and Thin films for Advanced Technology (OMTAT- 2005) 24 – 27th, October 2005; Cochin University of Science and Technology KOCHI, Kerala, India.
- Participated and presented paper in DAE Solid State Physics Symposium; BARC Mumbai 26th to 29th December 2006
- Presented paper in an International Conference, I C -SOLACE -2008 on 21 - 24th, January 2008.
- Presented paper in an international conference “RETMAC – 2010” organized by National Institute of Technology, Surathkal on 14 - 15th, February 2010.
- Presented paper in an International Conference on Applications of Nanotechnology to Energy, environment and Biotechnology – mega meet on Nanoscience; “NANOEEB – 2010” organized by St Aloysius College, Mangalore on 6th, 7th and 8th December 2010.
- Presented paper on ‘Cadmium sulhide nanoparticles’ in an international conference “Recent Advances in Materials Science” - RAMS - 2012 organized by the Higher Education Council, Govt. Of Karnataka, on 6th, 7th and 8th November 2012 in Hotel Atrea, Bangalore
- Participated and presented paper in an International Conference on Nanomaterials for Frontier Applications” & “Indo-Norwegian workshop on Advanced materials for Solar Cell applications” (ICNFA-2013) , Organized by Physics department of Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore on 10th, 11th and 12th July 2013.
National Conferences attended and papers presented:
- Optical absorption studies on the CdS nanoparticles in PVA matrix;
- Functional Metamaterials at the Nanoscale (FMN); Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore on 22 & 23rd July 2005.
- Mercaptopropionic acid capped CdS nanoparticles in egg membrane; Functional Metamaterials at the Nanoscale (FMN); Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore on 22 & 23rd July 2005.
- Effect of UV irradiation on MPA capped CdS nanoparticles in a PVA matrix; National Conference on Emerging Trends in Physics, Electronics and Engineering Sciences; 25 - 26th, September 2006.
Research articles published in peer reviewed journals:
- Synthesis and stability studies of thiophenol capped CdS nanoparticles; Manjunatha Pattabi and Saraswathi Amma. B; 2006, Solar Energy Mater. & Solar Cells; 90, 2377.
- Photoluminescence Study of PVP capped CdS Nanoparticles embedded in PVA Matrix; Manjunatha Pattabi, Saraswathi Amma B and K. Manzoor; 2007, Materials Research Bulletin; 42, 828.
- Synthesis and characterization of mercaptopropionic acid capped CdS nanoparticles; Manjunatha Pattabi and Saraswathi Amma. B; 2007,J. New Mater. Electrochem. Systems; Vol.10, 49.
- The Effect of Precursor concentrations on the Particle size of mercaptopropionic acid capped CdS nanoparticles; Manjunatha Pattabi and Saraswathi Amma. B; 2007, J. New Mater. Electrochem. Systems; 10, 43.
- Effect of 8 MeV Electron irradiation on the Optical properties of PVP Capped CdS nanoparticles in PVA Matrix; Manjunatha Pattabi, Saraswathi Amma B, Manzoor K and Ganesh; 2007, Solar Energy Mater. & Solar Cells, 91, 1403-1407.
- Comparison of various organic stabilizers as capping agents for CdS nanoparticles synthesis; Saraswathi Amma B, Ramakrishna K and Manjunatha Pattabi; 2007, J. Mater. Sci: Mater. Electron. 18, 1109- 1113.
- Synthesis and Optical properties of CdS/ZnS Core Shell Nanoparticles; Saraswathi Amma, Manzoor K, Ramakrishna K and Manjunatha Pattabi; 2008, Materials chemistry and Physics, 112, 789 – 792.
- Optical Properties of CdS–PVA Nanocomposites; Manjunatha Pattabi and Saraswathi Amma B. Composite Interfaces 17 (2010) 103-111.
- “XPS study of MPA capped CdS nanoparticles in PVA matrix” -International journal of Science research, volume 1, issue 4 (2014) page 464-468.
- “Stability study of Cadmium sulphide nanoparticles embedded in polyvinyl alcohol matrix”; Echo Research journal; Volume 1; September 2013; page 01 – 11.
- Electrical Conductivity Of PVP Capped Cds Nanoparticles In PVA Matrix Saraswathi Amma B Manjunatha Pattabi, Harish Parala and Shripathi T; Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology; Vol. 2, issue 7 ; May 2014 page 801-804.
- Synthesis and characterization of Nano-(PVP-CdS)/Ag junctions; Echo Research journal; Volume 2; September 2014; page 117 – 127.
Mrs. Mariola C Pinto (H.O.D):
- Attended NAAC sponsored three-day National level Conference on “ICT Mode for Quality Enhancement in Higher Education’ organized by St. Agnes College, Mangalore on 14th, 15th and 16th July 2005.
- Attended the seminar on ‘The Fascinating Field of Astronomy’ on 2nd February 2007, organized by St. Aloysius College, Mangalore.
- Participated a two-day workshop on “Nano Materials and Devices’ organized by NMAM Institute of Technology, NITTE, D.K on 16th and 17th August 2007.
- Participated in the two-day Intercollegiate Workshop under CPE on ‘Communication and Leadership Training For College Teachers” organized by St. Agnes College, Mangalore on 16th and 17th October 2007.
- Participated in the workshop on ‘New Pattern of Physics Question Paper for II and IV semesters’ conducted by the Association of Physics Teachers of Mangalore University on 08-03-2008.
- Participated in two-day workshop on ‘Nanoscience and Technology’ organised by Yenepoya Research Centre, Yenepoya University, Mangalore on 23rd and 24th March, 2009.
- Organized one day workshop on “Working and Maintenance of Electrical Appliances” for the B.Sc Students of the college (August 2009).
Mrs. Marina Lobo:
- Attended the seminar on ‘The Fascinating Field of Astronomy’ on 2nd February 2007, organized by St. Aloysius College, Mangalore
- Participated a two-day workshop on “Nano Materials and Devices’ organized by NMAM Institute of Technology, NITTE, D.K on 16th and 17th August 2007
- Attended one U.G.C sponsored seminar in July 2008 at Milagres College Kallianpur on ‘New pattern of Physics Question Paper for I Semester’
- Helped in organizing Inter Collegiate Physics seminar competition for UG students (February 2009)
- Organized one day workshop on “Working and Maintenance of Electrical Appliances” for the B.Sc Students of the college (8th August 2009).