- MISSION & VISION
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
- CO-CURRICULAR COURSES
- CURRICULAR COURSES
- POST GRADUATE
- RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CELL
- COLLEGE FACTS
- EXTENSION ACTIVITIES
- AIDS AWARENESS CELL
- BAND AND MUSIC
- CAREER GUIDANCE
- CARMEL COUNSELLING CENTRE
- CATHOLIC LIFE
- CERTIFICATE & DIPLOMA COURSES
- COMPUTER CLUB
- GRIEVANCE REDRESSAL CELL
- HARMONY CLUB
- HUMAN RIGHTS CELL
- N. C. C.
- NATURE CLUB
- RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CELL
- STUDENT CABINET
- WOMEN'S CELL
- WOMENS CENTRE
- PHOTO GALLERY
- BEST PRACTICES
Department of Political Science
Effective and success are two keywords while referring to development or empowerment. It is evident that both are not equal in the case of all humans. This is because the quality and quantum of human resource available with each person is different, as the processes of development themselves would have been different in their strategies, methods or techniques as well as the total time spent. Efficiency decides effectiveness and success. An increase in efficiency is possible when various types of existing resource are identified, developed, mobilized and managed. Nature has its own ways of making this happen. However, as the humans progressed they learnt to do this in a planned way so as to increase the efficiency and thereby increase effectiveness and success. That's how different branches of sciences and social sciences developed. Among the social sciences, Political Science has an undeniable significance as it determines the effectiveness and success of a human being as not only a social but also a political being.
The Department of Political Science was established in the year 1957. The students are given a broad vision of the subject through comparative study and by application. They are equipped to evaluate the performance of governments and political happenings. The study infuses in students rationality , expediency and leadership.
|Papers Offered||Activities||Staff Members|
Profile of the Department
Name of the Department
Year of Establishment
Courses / Programmes and subject combinations offered
Number of Teaching posts sanctioned and filled
|Number of Students (Women)||
|Ratio of Teacher to students||1:47|
|.Number of teachers in academic bodies of other Autonomous Colleges and Universities||
|Latest revision of the curriculum (year)||
|Success Rate of students||
Faculty who have Attended Natl./Intl. Seminars (last 5 years)
· Dr. Sr. Shalini A.C – Intl. (01), Natl. (02)
· Mr.Chandranath - Intl. (01), Natl. (02)
· Mr. Chandramohan - Intl. (01), Natl. (01)
· Sr. Viola – Natl.(03)
|Number of Ongoing projects and their total outlay||Certificate Course In ‘HumanRights Education’ Sanctioned by the UGC; 6 months Course for 5 Years.|
|Number of Books in the Departmental Library, if any||
Number of Computers
--- Inauguration of the departmental activities of the academic year 2013 on 2.07.13
Mr. J.R. Lobo, M.L.A Mangalore inaugurated the function and motivated the students in his speech. He was felicitated in this function for being elected as the M.L.A of Mangalore South Constituency.
---Neermarga Extension Activity:
Door to door campaign was held in the Neermarga Grama Panchayath , to motivate people to attend the Grama Sabha meeting that was scheduled to be on 26.06.13.
24th -28th June 2013
Department level competitions were held for the 1st and 2nd degree students by the Final year students, like quiz, mock press, debate, slogan writing, essay etc.
22.07.13 Field visit to Bangalore.
The Final year students visited Vidhana Soudha and witnessed the proceedings of the Assembly and Council and interacted with the eminent political personalities like: Mr Siddaramaiah, Mr. U.T Khader, Mr Ganesh Karnik etc.
6th and 7th September 2013
A UGC sponsored two day National Level Seminar in association with MUPSTA on the topic -“Emerging Trends In Indian Politics” was organized. Eminent speakers Prof. Sandeep Shastry, Y.S.V Datta, Ravindra Reshme , Dr. J.S. Sadananda were the resource persons.
Major Activities for the year 2011 - 2012
1. Inaugural of the Activities of the Department for the Academic Year2011-2012.(4-7-11)
Mr. Praveen Kumar, Mayor of Mangalore City Corporation was the Guest of Honour – Welcoming the Freshers,honoring the high scorers in the subject,Felicitation to Miss Naushida for obting Political Science for her P.G studies.
Interaction with the Mayor on the functioning of the Mangalore City Corporation.
2. Extension Activity : Reaching Out to the Grassroot Democracy
3. National Seminar on Human Rights: 23rd, 24th September,2011.
The Department in association with the Human Rights Education Cell of the College organized a Two Day National Seminar entitled ‘Human Rights-Changing Trends and Challenges in India’.Dr. Veerappa Moily,Union Cabinet Minister for Corporat Affairs inaugurated the Seminar on 23rd Friday. Naadoja Justice Dr.S.R.Nayak, the Chairperson of Karnataka State Human Rights Commission was the Guest of Honor. Dr. Shashikala Gurpur, Dean Symbiosis International law School, Pune, delivered the keynote address. Dr. Sr. Prem D’Souza presided over the function.
Dr. Muzaffer Assadi and Dr. Niranjana Vanalli, from Mysore University, Dr. Bernard D Sami from Loyola College, Chennai, Miss. Pandima Devi, Advocate, High Court of Chennai were the Resource persons. Papers were presented by both the students and teachers. Panel Discussion on Euthanasia was also the part of the Seminar. The studentsof U.G and P.G , teachers, Research Scholars and NGO representatives from Goa, Kerala, Bangalore,Bhadravathi, Dharwad besides teachers from local Colleges participated.The total delegates enrolled were about 250.
Dr.p. L. Dharma, Chairman P.G Centre at Mangala Gangothri delivered the Valedictory Address. Mr. U.T. Khadar,LLB, MLA of Mangalore was the Guest of Honour.
Reaching out to the Grassroot Democracy’is a dream of the department. In realization of this dream the first attempt was ‘Jana Samparka Abhiyana’a door to door campaign spreading the awareness of participation in Grama Sabha which is the basic functional unit of Rural Local Self Government.In this direction on24th July Jana Samparka Abhiyan was organized at someshwara Grama Panchayat of Mangalore taluk. Mr. U.T.khadar the MLA inaugurated this Abhiyana.The members of Grama Panchayat, Taluk Panchayat and Zilla Panchayat of this area were present on this occasion. Nearly 95 students of the Department visited in and around 500-600 houses of the village. The people welcomed this initiative and supported wholeheartedly.
Outcome of the programme: The Grama Sabha Meeting witnessed a huge gathering compared to the earlier meetings.
- Training for Competitive Examination – 15 Hours.
- Journalism - 15 Hours.
Prominent figures/ VIPs visits to the Department:
- Justice S.R. Nayak, President, Karnataka State Human Rights Commission 09-09-07
- Justice Santosh Hegde, Lokayukta, Karnataka,29-02-08
- Prof. B. K Chandrashekar, Chairman, Legislative Council, Karnataka, 29-02-08
- Mr. Ravindranath Shanbogh, Human Rights Activist, 29-02-08
- Mr. A.M Prasad, IGP, Western Range,10-12-08
- Mr. Dilip, Additional S.P, 10-12-08
- Justice M.F. Saldanha, Retired Judge, Karnataka High Court, 10-12-08
- Shri. K. Bala Krishna Bhat, Ex MLC, Karnataka Legislative Council,10-01-10
- Smt.Motamma, Opposition Leader, State Legislative Council, Govt. of Karnataka, 23-01-10
- Smt. Bharathi Shetty, MLC, Karnataka Legislative Council, 23-01-10
- Mr. R. Ramesh, IPS,DCP, 07-08-10
- Mrs. Manjula, President, State Women's Commission 25-01-11
|1.||Mr.||Chandramohana Marathe||M.A., M.Phil.||(pursuing P.hD from Kuppam,Dravidian University)|
|2.||Sr.||Viola A.C. (Veera Renuka Lobo)||M.A.||(pursuing P.hD from Madras Christian College, Madras University)|
1. Continuation of the ongoing extension activity entitled ‘reaching out to the Grassroot Democracy:
Jana Samparka Abhiyana.
Political Awareness Programme
Electoral awareness Programme
Free Legal Awareness Programme/ Camps
Training Programmes for public, Political Representatives, NGOs, Government Officials
2. Guest Lectures on
Right to Information Act
Role of Speaker in Assembly
3. Workshop on Preparation for Civil Service Exams
4. Programme on Parliamentary Democracy in collaboration with the Central Institute of Representative Democracy
5. Field visit to Zilla Panchayat,City Corporation and Vidhana Saudha, Bangalore to observe the sessions of Karnataka Assembly and Council.
6. Workshop on Career Options
7. Interaction with Government Officials
8. Leadership Training programme for students
The Department is organizing a UGC sponsored Certificate Programme on Human Rights (six months duration) for five years.There are two programmes in a year.