- VISION & MISSION
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
- PHYSICAL EDUCATION
- COLLEGE FACTS
- EXTENSION ACTIVITIES
- AIDS AWARENESS CELL
- BAND AND MUSIC
- CAREER GUIDANCE
- CARMEL COUNSELLING CENTRE
- CATHOLIC LIFE
- CERTIFICATE & DIPLOMA COURSES
- COMPUTER CLUB
- GRIEVANCE REDRESSAL CELL
- HARMONY CLUB
- HUMAN RIGHTS CELL
- N. C. C.
- NATURE CLUB
- RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CELL
- STUDENT CABINET
- WOMEN'S CELL
- WOMENS CENTRE
- PHOTO GALLERY
- BEST PRACTICES
Department of Political Science
Effective and success are two keywords while referring to development or empowerment. It is evident that both are not equal in the case of all humans. This is because the quality and quantum of human resource available with each person is different, as the processes of development themselves would have been different in their strategies, methods or techniques as well as the total time spent. Efficiency decides effectiveness and success. An increase in efficiency is possible when various types of existing resource are identified, developed, mobilized and managed. Nature has its own ways of making this happen. However, as the humans progressed they learnt to do this in a planned way so as to increase the efficiency and thereby increase effectiveness and success. That's how different branches of sciences and social sciences developed. Among the social sciences, Political Science has an undeniable significance as it determines the effectiveness and success of a human being as not only a social but also a political being.
The Department of Political Science was established in the year 1957. The students are given a broad vision of the subject through comparative study and by application. They are equipped to evaluate the performance of governments and political happenings. The study infuses in students rationality , expediency and leadership.
|Papers Offered||Activities||Staff Members|
The Harmony Club in association with Human Rights Education Cell , Agnes Towards Community, Women's Cell and Dept. of Political Science celebrated Peace Day on January 30, 2016 at 12.00 noon in the College Auditorium. The Chief guest of the day was Teesta Setalvad, Indian Civil Rights Activist and Journalist, Gujarath.
Dept. of Political Science in Association with DACS (Delhi Academy for Civil Service)
Mangaluru conducted a Workshop on 'How To Conquer Civil Service' on Saturday, November 28, 2015. Dr. Venugopal, Dr. V. Govinda Kutti, Mr. Vivek, Faculty member DACS
will be the Resource Persons.
Certificate Course: UGC sponsored Certificate Course on Human Rights
Visits to Grama Panchayaths, Zilla Panchayaths, Corporation,Vidhana Sabha, Vidhana Parishath
- Door to Door Campaign at the time of elections to motivate the electors to cast their valuable votes.
- Door to Door Campaign to motivate the villagers to take part in the Grama Sabha meetings
- Political awareness/Human Rights Awareness in various villages of Mangalore Taluk.
- Capacity Building / Leadership Programme for Newly Elected Grama Panchayath Members.
Activities on current events, National days, celebrations and activities related to Political life are the hallmark of the department
Minor Research: 2013-2015 On Panchayath Raj System.
· Orientation for Civil Service Exams along with DACS Academy
· Orientation for Journalistic Writings by Prof. Vanalli Mysore University and other eminent journalists.
Students Projects: On Grassroot Democracy
The Department of Political Science has organized a visit to Vidhana Soudha, Lokayukta Office, Rajya Bhavan & KPSC. in Bangalore. A personality development training programme on time management, communicative skills and opportunity was conducted. A prayer service and condolence meeting was conducted for innocent children who lost their lives in the terrorists’ attack in Pakistan.
Mr. J.R. Lobo, M.L.A Mangalore inaugurated the function and motivated the students in his speech. He was felicitated in this function for being elected as the M.L.A of Mangalore South Constituency.
---Neermarga Extension Activity:
- Training for Competitive Examination – 15 Hours.
- Journalism - 15 Hours.
Role of Civil Society in Good Governance
Status of Women in Grassroot Democracy
23-09-2011 to 24-09-2011
Human Rights Changing
Trends and Challenges in India
Sixty years of Karnataka Legislative Assembly
Women and Human Rights
Emerging Trends in Indian Politics
Ancient Indian Political Thought
13-01-2016(yet to be organized)
Emerging Political Dynamics and Youth in Indian Politics
Prominent figures/ VIPs visits to the Department:
- Justice S. R Nayak, President, Karnataka State Human Rights Commission, 9-09-07; 23-09-2011; 26-11-2015
- Justice Santhosh" Hegde, Lokayukta, Kamataka, 29-02-08.
- Prof. B.k Chandrasekhar, Chairman, Legislative Council, Karnataka,29-02-08.
- Justice M.F Saldanha, Retired Judge, Karnataka High Court, 10-12-08
- Sri. K. Bala Krishna Bhat, Ex MLc, Karnataka Legislative Council, 10-01-10
- Smt. Motamma, Opposition Leader, State Legislative Council, Govt. of Karnataka, 23-01-10
- Smt. Bharathi Shetty,MLC, Karnataka LegislativeCouncil,23-01-10.
- Mrs. Manjula, President, State Women's Commission Affairs 23-09-11.
- Dr. Veerappa Moily, Ex Central Minister for Corporate Affairs 23-09-11
- Dr. Shashikala Gurpur, Member Central Law Commission, 23-09-11
- Mr.U.T.Khadar, Hon'ble. Health Minister Govt.ofKarnataka23-09-11
- Hon'ble.D.H Shankara Moorthy, Chairperson, Karnataka Legislative Council 7-07-12.
- Mr.Kota Shrinivas Poojary, Hon’ble Minister Govt.of Karnataka.
- Mr.V.R.Sudharshan, former Chairman Legislative Council,Karnataka 7-07-12
- Mr.Siddaramiah,Hon'ble.Chief Minister Govt.of Karnataka 7-07-12
- Mr.Jaya Prakash Hegde, M.PUdupi19-02-13
- Justice Shivaraj Patel FormerJusticeSupremeCourtofIndia19-02-13
- Dr. Sandeep Shastri, Pro Vice Chancellor, Jain University, Bangalore 7-09-2013
- Justice Y. Bhaskar Rao, Hon’ble Lokayauktha, Karnataka former Chief Justice of Karnataka, 26 -02- 2015
- Justice Rama Joise, former Chief Justice, Punjab and Hariyana High Court, Hon’ble former Governor of Bihar. 27-2-2015
|1.||Mr.||Chandramohana Marathe||M.A., M.Phil.||(pursuing P.hD from Kuppam,Dravidian University)|
|2.||Sr.||Viola A.C. (Veera Renuka Lobo)||M.A.||(pursuing P.hD from Madras Christian College, Madras University)|
1. Continuation of the ongoing extension activity entitled ‘reaching out to the Grassroot Democracy:
Jana Samparka Abhiyana.
Political Awareness Programme
Electoral awareness Programme
Free Legal Awareness Programme/ Camps
Training Programmes for public, Political Representatives, NGOs, Government Officials
2. Guest Lectures on
Right to Information Act
Role of Speaker in Assembly
3. Workshop on Preparation for Civil Service Exams
4. Programme on Parliamentary Democracy in collaboration with the Central Institute of Representative Democracy
5. Field visit to Zilla Panchayat,City Corporation and Vidhana Saudha, Bangalore to observe the sessions of Karnataka Assembly and Council.
6. Workshop on Career Options
7. Interaction with Government Officials
8. Leadership Training programme for students
The Department is organizing a UGC sponsored Certificate Programme on Human Rights (six months duration) for five years.There are two programmes in a year.