- VISION & MISSION
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
- PHYSICAL EDUCATION
- COLLEGE FACTS
- EXTENSION ACTIVITIES
- AIDS AWARENESS CELL
- BAND AND MUSIC
- CAREER GUIDANCE
- CARMEL COUNSELLING CENTRE
- CATHOLIC LIFE
- CERTIFICATE & DIPLOMA COURSES
- COMPUTER CLUB
- GRIEVANCE REDRESSAL CELL
- HARMONY CLUB
- HUMAN RIGHTS CELL
- N. C. C.
- NATURE CLUB
- RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CELL
- STUDENT CABINET
- WOMEN'S CELL
- WOMENS CENTRE
- PHOTO GALLERY
- BEST PRACTICES
Department of Psychology
Psychology is a fascinating subject and hence everyone gets attracted to the subject instantaneously. Psychology is nothing but the study of human behaviour. It touches almost every facet of our lives. In today's busy and fast moving world students are faced with a lot of stress, tension, competition, time urgency and many more problems. Psychology helps them to deal with the problems and more importantly to face the problems with courage. Knowledge of psychology not only helps them to know themselves better, but also to know and understand others. This helps their inter - personal relationship.
Why do people behave the way they do? Do we dream every night? What is the effect of genetics and environment on behaviour? How does the brain work? These questions as well as topics such as stress management, personality development, health and wellbeing, child development, attitude formation, are dealt with in the psychology syllabus.
As psychology is a practical subject they are given hands on experience at special school. Here they are acquainted with different types of mental illness and are taught how to deal with the children having these special needs.
We in the department believe that mere theoretical knowledge of psychology is not sufficient. We make the students use the knowledge of psychology in dealing with their practical everyday life problems. Through a number of outreach programmes students acquire various skills like Communication skills, Leadership skills, Organizational skills, and problem solving skills.
On the lines of Maslow's concept of self actualization, we in the department motivate and encourage our students to use their potential to the fullest extent and be self-actualized individuals.
- To make teaching more effective by using innovative learner-centered methods.
- To help students apply psychological knowledge to real life situations.
- To instil human values and social concern, through extension activities.
- To provide opportunities for building up self-confidence and self-image of the students.
Mrs. Hithakshi B., Department of Psychology, answered viva on her thesis "Management of Stress, Depression, Anger and enhacement of general well-being in nursing students through positive therapy" on July 18, 2014., under Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science and Higher Education for Women, Comibatore.
|Papers Offered||Activities||Staff Members|
The Department of Psychology conducted various service activities for the differently abled children of Special School. Personality Test was conducted on 50 students. After conducting some sessions on memory techniques the students prepared a memory module for St. Agnes High School students.
Basic skills in counselling
- Academic: Guest Lecture, Talks as part of Psychology Forum Activity.
- Co-curricular activities planned: Work Shop on Neuro- Linguistic Programming
- Mini Exhibition
- Competitions – Essay writing, Model making,Psychology Quiz, Photography, and Chart.
- Consultancy: Administration of IQ and Personality tests open to the students of the college.
- Career guidance Programme – (Department): Career Guidance Talk for theIII Degree students
Workshops / Seminars :
- Ms. Elsie Tharian and Ms. Vinatha attended the International Conference for Women at School of Social Work, Roshini Nilaya between 28th and 30th of October 2010.
|1.||Mrs. Elsie George||M.A.|
|2.||Mrs. Vinatha K.||M.A.|
|3.||Mrs. Hithakshi||M. Sc.|