THE HUMAN RIGHTS EDUCATION CELL
No education at the University level can be complete without Human Rights Education. The degree course includes the study of the Indian Constituition, Human Rights and Environmental Studies. The programmes organised by the Cell complement this study.
- To educate and create greater awareness of Human Rights
- To study and examine cases of human rights violation in the Campus
- To train the interested group to facilitate intervention and action
- To create a network with other organisations for working in the spirit of solidarity
- To adopt a process of documentation of different cases of violation so that they can come as a reference material of some other cases in future.
The Human Rights Education Cell, inaugurated in the year 1999 worked in earnest to meet its objectives of education, awareness and guidance in the area of human rights. Its regular activities during the last six years include orientation programmes, debates, panel discussions, relevant contexts, meaningful celebration of International Human Rights Day every year, awareness programmes in schools and field visits.
The special activities encompass guest lectures by academicians, advocates, activists, politicians and even officials.
The Harmony Club in association with Human Rights Education Cell ,
Agnes Towards Community, Women's Cell and Dept. of Political Science
celebrated Peace Day on January 30, 2016 at 12.00 noon in the College
Auditorium. The Chief guest of the day was Teesta Setalvad, Indian Civil
Rights Activist and Journalist, Gujarath.
HUMAN RIGHTS EDUCATION CELL(2016-2017)
Co-Ordinator: Ms. Gayathri B.K
1. Orientation programme has taken by the co - coordinator Ms. Gayathri on 2/7/2016 and gave a clear idea regarding the cell .
2. Human Rights Education Cell involved in an awareness Programme on 'Cyber Crime' on 12th August 2016 which was organized by St.Agnes College Library and Information Centre. Around 225 students had benefited from this programme. Ms. Shruthi N.S (ACP) South, Mangalore was the chief guest.
3. Human Rights Education Cell students visited Infant Mary's Convent Jeppu, on 13th August 2016 and interacted with those people and students generously contributed a small amount to the Orphanage.
4. Human Rights Education cell conducted the competitions like Collage competition Slogan writing, and Essay writing to the cell members.
5. Human Rights Education Cell is also organized the Pot Painting competition along with other Associations.
6. Human Rights Education Cell members have involved in the Campus Cleaning on 17/ 9/2016.
7. On 26-11-2016 Human Rights Education Cell Celebrated 'CONSTITUTION DAY' in Association with Political Science Department and Mrs. Rosveera , HOD , Department of Political Science St. Aloysius College Mangalore was a Chief Guest for the programme and she enlightened the young minds with her effective words on need and significance of our constitution .
8. On 10/12/2016, the Human Rights Education Cell celebrated HUMAN RIGHTS DAY with District Administration Mangalore .Hon'ble Smt .Madhusharma, I.F.S , Human Rights Commission Karnataka was a chief guest for the programme . Students actively participated in the 'JATHA' and presented a 'STREET PLAY' on Human Rights and its Violation.
9. Human Rights Education Cell organized a Workshop on 17/12/2016 regarding the Best out of waste and Save Environment. The members of Human Rights Education Cell actively involved in the workshop and they learnt to prepare a paper bags, ornaments and mobile covers with woolen threads and other kinds of crafts.
10. Members of human rights education cell played a street play in Anugraha hall,Modankap along with ATC on the occasion of peace day.