Activities during 2016-17
The Department of Microbiology conducted a blood typing programme for the first year students of St. Agnes College during the month of June and July. It was done in the Microbiology laboratory I from 12:00 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. onwards.37 students of the first degree class availed this facility.
Blood typing was done for 42 students of St. Agnes Primary & High School, Bendore, Mangaluru, on the 11th and 20th July 2016.
The Dept. of Microbiology organized a guest lecture by Dr.Ahrsia, Dept of Physiology, Yenepoya Medical College on the topic Post Menstrual Syndrome on the 22nd July 2016.She enlightened the students on the Definition and Duration of Post Menstrual Syndrome, Hormonal levels, Symptoms associated, Statistical data, phases of menstrual cycle and Menarche. She concluded the lecture by saying that Post Menstrual Syndrome is not a disease but just a disorder and also gave tips for healthy life style modification. This was followed by a interactive session .
Add on course : Mushroom cultivation
An Add-on course on Mushroom Cultivation was conducted for 25 students of final year MZC class in the Odd Semester, 2016. The students learnt to cultivate mushrooms using agricultural wastes and also the economic and medical importance of mushroom.
Activities During 2015-16
In the 21st century we see Microbiology emerging as one of the top priorities in the field of Biological Science.
Microbiology has a very wide scope encompassing specialities as diverse as Cell Biology, Genetics, Pathology, Immunology, Food and Industrial Microbiology, Agriculture, Bioinformatics, Ecology etc.
Microbiologists have made significant contributions in the applied areas of public health and Medical Sciences, Agriculture, Industry and Environment Science.
Microbiology is an Undergraduate programme for B. Sc students which started in St. Agnes College in the year 1993-1994.
Microbiology was introduced keeping the following objectives in view:
- To provide exposure to Microbiology and its significance
- To train students in techniques used to isolate, culture, observe, identify and control microorganisms
- To create awareness among the students on the ways in which microorganisms interact with their environment and the practical consequences of these interactions
- Field Visit:The department organized a one day field trip to Nandini milk dairy, Kulshekra on 5th March 2016 for the final year Microbiology Students. The students learnt the process of pasteurization, different ways of packaging of milk, storage and the preparation of various milk products during this visit
- Blood typing Programme
The Department of Microbiology organized a blood typing programme for the first year students of St. Agnes College in the month of July. The blood of 90 students of the first degree class was typed.
- Guest Lecture
The Department organized a guest lecture for the students of final year MZC on 3rd September, 2015 on the topic "Biomedical Waste Management". The resource person was Dr. Ethel Suman.
- Awareness talk: A talk was organized on the topic "Health and Hygiene" for the students of Psychology Forum on 22- 8-15 in Psychology class room.
- Mushroom Cultivation: A talk and Demonstration was organized on the topic "Mushroom cultivation" for the students of St.Aloysius College by Mrs. Vidya Patali on 21-8-15 in Microbiology lab-1