- MISSION & VISION
- ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
- CO-CURRICULAR COURSES
- CURRICULAR COURSES
- POST GRADUATE
- RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CELL
- COLLEGE FACTS
- EXTENSION ACTIVITIES
- AIDS AWARENESS CELL
- BAND AND MUSIC
- CAREER GUIDANCE
- CARMEL COUNSELLING CENTRE
- CATHOLIC LIFE
- CERTIFICATE & DIPLOMA COURSES
- COMPUTER CLUB
- GRIEVANCE REDRESSAL CELL
- HARMONY CLUB
- HUMAN RIGHTS CELL
- N. C. C.
- NATURE CLUB
- RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CELL
- STUDENT CABINET
- WOMEN'S CELL
- WOMENS CENTRE
- PHOTO GALLERY
- BEST PRACTICES
Department of BCA
Every manager knows how to count Smart managers know what counts - Churchill
The constant endeavour of the Computer Applications Department has been to mould smart managers because of its firm conviction that every individual has the potential for being one, if guided in the proper direction.
The course of Computer Applications (B.C.A.) was introduced in our college in the year 2006. It was under the department of Computer Science and teachers of this department were taking up classes for both Computer Science and B.C.A. In the year 2009, a separate department of Computer Applications was formed.
The Computer Centre of St. Agnes College was established in the year 1986. The Centre has 3 separate air-conditioned rooms for software practicals and one laboratory for hardware practicals.
Computer Science is being offered as one of the optional subjects for B.A and B.Sc. students since 1990. In 1994 the College introduced Computer Applications as a vocational course for the B.Sc's. In 2006 BCA was introduced.
The department focuses on two main objectives:
- To groom Computer Professionals who can be directly employed
- To make the students competent to pursue higher studies like MCA, M.Sc. (CS), M. Sc. (IT), etc.
The course has been designed keeping in mind the desirable characteristics of a competent Computer Professional. We have identified these characteristics to be the following:
- Communication skills - To be achieved through Seminars by students
- Ability to work in a team - To be achieved through project work
- Logical and numerical ability - To be achieved through Programming
- Knowledge of computers, consisting of strong fundamentals of: Programming methodology, Internet, Operating Systems, Databases, NET applications, and Web applications
The Faculty members of the department volunteer their services to the other autonomous colleges by being the members of their BOS and other academic bodies.
The department from 2009 onwards has been organizing a UGC sponsored course - Networking with Computers using "NetSim". Certificate, Diploma, and Advanced Diploma are awarded to the students who successfully complete, a one-year, two-year, or a three-year course respectively.
|Ms. Asha M.||B. Tech|
|Mrs. Malavika Shetty||M. Sc., MIT|
|Mrs. Sreevalli Shetty||MCA|
|Ms. Hashmitha D'Souza||M. Sc.|
|Ms. Jonita Rasquinha
Activities conducted for the year 2014-2015
1. Quiz competition was conducted for the students of Computer Science and Computer Application and 16 students took part in it. Preliminary round was conducted on July 25th 2014,at 3.45 PM And 6 students were selected for the final round which was conducted on August 11th 2014, at 3.14 PM. The winners of this competition were:
1st place: Viola Pais,IInd BCA
2nd place :Nishmitha,IIIrd B.Sc
2. Ms.Asha M and Mrs.Malavika Shetty attended a national level seminar on 30th July 2014 at SDM Law College,Mangalore on the topic-“Big Data-Changing the World”
3. A guest lecture was conducted on August 8th 2014 on “Mobile communication” by Mr.Jeevan Pinto,Associate Professor at Srinivas college.
4. Final year BCA students attended a technical exhibition on “Operating System and Networking” on August 14th 2014 organized by Sri Devi Institute of Technology. Ms Asha , Mrs.Malavika Shetty, Mrs.Shrevalli,Ms.Hashmitha and Ms.Jonita accompanied the students.
5. A guest lecture regarding project guidance was conducted by the members of Technopulse on August 25th,2014 at 2.30 PM for the students of final year BCA.
6. A talk related to career in the IT sector was held for the final year BCA students to guide them for the future on August 25th ,2014 at 3.15 PM by an ex-agnesian Ms.Anish Achar.
7. A talk related to the project work was conducted by Mr.Shashidhar Hegde,Colaco Institute of Information Technology for IIIrd year BCA students on September 4th,2014 during L6 hour.
8.Collage competition was conducted on September 4th 2014 for the students of BCA and B.Sc.The following student were declared the winners:
1st place: Misrina and Shimath Shareef of Ist BCA
2nd place:Krithika and Christhitha D’souza of 1st BCA
9.MSR IT solutions conducted a one hour session regarding project guidance for the final year students of Computer Application on September 17th 2014, during the L6 hour.
10.Bulletin board was updated every month with each class taking its turn.
11.Ms.Hashmitha D’souza and Ms.Jonita Rasquinha attended a National level seminar on”Instructional Design ,Multimedia and E-resources in Higher Education” organized by the centre for eduction beyond curriculum at Christ University,Bangalore from 29th September to 1st October 2014.
UGC sponsored Certificate/Diploma/Advanced Diploma course in ‘NETSIM’ – Networking with computers
State Level Workshop on “LAMP Technology”
Dept. of Comp.Sc. & Comp. Applns., St. Agnes College, Mangalore conducted 2- days State level workshop on “LAMP Technology” from 9th to 10th Oct. 2012 for faculty members of various colleges affiliated to different universities of Karnataka State. The workshop was designed to give the participants an insight into hands on experience on various technologies that are needed for creating dynamic Web pages. Mr. Mani Bushan D’Souza, and Mr. C. G. Thomas, Asst. professors, PG department of MCA, AIMIT, Beeri were the resource persons for this workshop.
Workshop on Advanced Computing – held at St.Aloysius Institute of Management and Information Technology, Beeri on 19.1.2013
Ms. Asha M and Mrs. Malavika Shetty
Students Attended: Final Year B.Sc. Computer Science and Final Year B.C.A. students
- National Level Workshop/Seminar on "Recent and Emerging Trends in Wireless Communication"