Activities During 2016-17
Workshop on Journalistic Writing:
The Department of Political science has organised three day workshop on ‘Journalistic Writing’ On 28/07 /2016 to 30/07/ 2016. The resource persons were Prof.Bhaskar Hegde ,HOD Mass communication and journalism SDMC Ujire. , Dr.Madhava , Asst Prof. Dept of Kannada, FMKC ,Madikeri and Shwetha Bhat, Freelance Journalist . Mangalore, Prakash , College of journalism Manipal. 50 students of the College were actively participated.
Thiranga Yathra :
The department of political science actively involved with NCC and Rangers Association in a programme called “Thiranga Yathra” which was organized by Nehru Yuva Kendra and St. Agnes College Mangalore, on 20th August 2016. Mr.Nalin Kumar Kateel, Honarable Member of Parliament hoisted the National flag and inuagrated the rally. Mr. J.R Lobo Honarable MLA, Mangalore South, delivered the speech regarding the significant of the event which was presided by the College Principal Dr Sr. Jeswina A.C.
The Door to Door Campaign regarding the awareness on gramasabha was successfully held by the Department of Political Science and its students in AmblaMogaru village on 28 /08/2016. In this campaign 50 students were actively involved.
Mock Press Competition:
In the Intra-Collegiate event ARTSPIRE held on 30/08 /2016 ,the Department organized MockPress event.
District level Debate and Essay Writing Competition :
The Department of Political Science extended its support to the District Level Debate competition for the PU students, Essay Writing for the High School students on the theme of Cooperative Movement which was organized by District Cooperative Union D.K and St.Agnes College jointly, nn 17th September,2016
Activities During 2015-16
Dept. of Political Science in association with Centre for the Study of Social Exclusion & Inclusive PolicyNational Law School of India University, Ambedkar Study Centre., Mangalore Sociology Association(MSA), Human Rights Federation of Indiaorganises One Day Conference on Dr. Ambedkar - Idea of India to mark the 125th Birth Anniversary of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar on 12th Saturday, March 2016
The Harmony Club in association with Human Rights Education Cell , Agnes Towards Community, Women's Cell and Dept. of Political Science celebrated Peace Day on January 30, 2016 at 12.00 noon in the College Auditorium. The Chief guest of the day was Teesta Setalvad, Indian Civil Rights Activist and Journalist, Gujarath.
Dept. of Political Science in Association with DACS (Delhi Academy for Civil Service)
Mangaluru conducted a Workshop on 'How To Conquer Civil Service' on Saturday, November 28, 2015. Dr. Venugopal, Dr. V. Govinda Kutti, Mr. Vivek, Faculty member DACS
will be the Resource Persons.
UGC sponsored Certificate Course on Human Rights
Visits to Grama Panchayaths, Zilla Panchayaths,Corporation,Vidhana Sabha, Vidhana Parishath
- Door to Door Campaign at the time of elections to motivate the electors to cast their valuable votes.
- Door to Door Campaign to motivate the villagers to take part in the Grama Sabha meetings
- Political awareness/Human Rights Awareness in various villages of Mangalore Taluk.
- Capacity Building / Leadership Programme for Newly Elected Grama Panchayath Members.
Activities on current events, National days, celebrations and
activities related to Political life are the hallmark of the department
Minor Research: 2013-2015 On Panchayath Raj System.
- Orientation for Civil Service Exams along with DACS Academy
- Orientation for Journalistic Writings by Prof. Vanalli Mysore University and other eminent journalists.
On Grassroot Democracy
The Department of Political Science has organized a visit to Vidhana Soudha,
Lokayukta Office, Rajya Bhavan & KPSC. in Bangalore. A personality development
training programme on time management, communicative skills and opportunity was
conducted. A prayer service and condolence meeting was conducted for innocent
children who lost their lives in the terrorists’ attack in Pakistan
Mr. J.R. Lobo, M.L.A Mangalore inaugurated the function and
motivated the students in his speech. He was felicitated in this
function for being elected as the M.L.A of Mangalore South Constituency
---Neermarga Extension Activity:
- Training for Competitive Examination – 15 Hours.
- Journalism - 15 Hours.
Prominent figures/ VIPs visits to the Department:
- Justice S. R Nayak, President, Karnataka State Human Rights Commission, 9-09-07; 23-09-2011; 26-11-2015
- Justice Santhosh" Hegde, Lokayukta, Kamataka, 29-02-08.
- Prof. B.k Chandrasekhar, Chairman, Legislative Council, Karnataka,29-02-08.
- Justice M.F Saldanha, Retired Judge, Karnataka High Court, 10-12-08
- Sri. K. Bala Krishna Bhat, Ex MLc, Karnataka Legislative Council, 10-01-10
- Smt. Motamma, Opposition Leader, State Legislative Council, Govt. of Karnataka, 23-01-10
- Smt. Bharathi Shetty,MLC, Karnataka LegislativeCouncil,23-01-10.
- Mrs. Manjula, President, State Women's Commission Affairs 23-09-11.
- Dr. Veerappa Moily, Ex Central Minister for Corporate Affairs 23-09-11
- Dr. Shashikala Gurpur, Member Central Law Commission, 23-09-11
- Mr.U.T.Khadar, Hon'ble. Health MinisterGovt.ofKarnataka23-09-11
- Hon'ble.D.H Shankara Moorthy, Chairperson, Karnataka Legislative Council 7-07-12.
- Mr.Kota Shrinivas Poojary, Hon’ble Minister Govt.of Karnataka.
- Mr.V.R.Sudharshan, former Chairman Legislative Council,Karnataka 7-07-12
- Mr.Siddaramiah,Hon'ble.Chief MinisterGovt.of Karnataka 7-07-12
- Mr.Jaya Prakash Hegde, M.PUdupi19-02-13
- Justice Shivaraj Patel FormerJusticeSupremeCourtofIndia19-02-13
- Dr. Sandeep Shastri, Pro Vice Chancellor, Jain University, Bangalore 7-09-2013
- Justice Y. Bhaskar Rao, Hon’ble Lokayauktha, Karnataka former Chief Justice of Karnataka, 26 -02- 2015
- Justice Rama Joise, former Chief Justice, Punjab and Hariyana High Court, Hon’ble former Governor of Bihar. 27-2-2015
The Department is organizing a UGC sponsored Certificate Programme on Human Rights (six months duration) for five years. There are two programmes in a year.
- Continuation of the ongoing extension activity entitled ‘reaching out to the Grassroot Democracy:
Jana Samparka Abhiyana.
Political Awareness Programme
Electoral awareness Programme
Free Legal Awareness Programme/ Camps
Training Programmes for public, Political Representatives, NGOs, Government Officials
- Guest Lectures on
Right to Information Act
Role of Speaker in Assembly
- Workshop on Preparation for Civil Service Exams
- Programme on Parliamentary Democracy in collaboration with the Central Institute of Representative Democracy
- Field visit to Zilla Panchayat,City Corporation and Vidhana Saudha, Bangalore to observe the sessions of Karnataka Assembly and Council.
- Workshop on Career Options
- Interaction with Government Officials
- Leadership Training programme for students