The Department was established in 1973. The department offers twin courses: i.e. SP (Secretarial Practice) and OPM (Office Practice and Management). The course in Secretarial Practice is offered as a major along with History/OPM /Economics, and the Office Practice and Management course is offered along with English Major and Psychology. The courses have been updated from time to time to cater to the changing trends in the corporate world. The recent revision of syllabus in Secretarial Practice and Office Practice and Management was done in 2011. The syllabus has been drafted to meet the following objectives.
At the end of a six-semester B.A. Degree Course, a student of Secretarial Practice is expected to acquire a fairly reasonable competence in the following areas:
- Secretarial skills for performing job-related tasks.
- Proficiency in English both spoken and written and competence to handle correspondence independently.
- Presentations skills using audio-visual aids.
- Knowledge in handling Insurance Products and correspondence
- Ability to plan, co-ordinate and conduct meetings
- An understanding of Stock Market and its investment options.
- Ability to operate the following Window-based Computer Applications - MS-Word, Excel HTML, PageMaker, DTP, PowerPoint, & Multimedia.
- Maturity to understand and accept personal strengths and weaknesses and be willingness to learn continuously and strive for self-improvement by developing positive attitude.
- Ability to the take initiative and work harmoniously as a contributing member of a team to achieve organizational goals.
OFFICE PRACTICE AND MANAGEMENT
At the end of a six-semester B.A. Degree Course, a student of Office Practice and Management is expected to acquire a fairly reasonable competence in the following areas:
- Handling and maintaining of books of accounts of small, medium, large scale organization and company.
- Ability to plan, co-ordinate and execute the functions of a modern office
- Knowledge in handling Human Resources efficiently
- Knowledge in Costing, Financial Management, and Taxation.
- Ability to venture into Entrepreneurship
- Knowledge in preparing projects of business concerns
- Ability to work harmoniously as a contributing member of a team to achieve organizational goals.